Pierre Nkou Mananga
BSc (Mathematic & Operation Research) |Master (Finance & Investment) | Certify Treasury Professional (CTP)
Pierre Nkou Mananga is a highly analytical, delivery focused and a sought-after enabler with at least 12 years local and international BALANCE SHEET AND TREASURY MANAGEMENT experience.
Well – versed in ensuring that robust internal controls and processes are in place to manage liquidity, interest rate and operational risks as well as business continuity arrangements, Pierre deploys innovative solutions and business rigour to support some of the Africa’s biggest and best brands across the banking, insurance and microfinance industries.
The concept of “total balance sheet and treasury management” is at the centre of the consulting relationship with his clients. Interest rate risk, liquidity and capital are all considered when determining the strategic direction the institution should take.
He provides more than just commentary and reports. His focus on tailoring strategies and facilitating vital discussions on key decisions balance sheet and treasury management. In short, Pierre helps his clients take the correct course of action.
Pierre is the founder of Treasury & ALM Consulting and his background ranges from corporate treasury training to treasury restricting, Treasury Management System (TMS) implementation, cash flow forecasting reengineering steps, funding requirements and cost optimisation, FX hedging strategy, Fund Transfer Pricing (FTP) process implementation, credit rating (Moody)management, Strategic Liquidity Risk Management, Liquidity Early Warning Indicator System (LEWIS) implementation , Financial Applications and Databases and more.
Pierre possesses a strong Mathematical background which enables him to find solutions to an increasing number of problems. Experienced in ensuring delivery of high quality outputs in a timely manner with due consideration of Board, senior management and client needs, clients and associates describe him as detailed and as someone who is passionate about developing talent.
Pierre holds a Bachelor of Science in Pure Mathematics & Operation Research as well as a Master in Finance & Investment and he is currently completing his thesis titled, An Agent Based Simulation Model to analyse the resilience of the African inter-bank market network to liquidity shocks in fulfilment of his PhD in Finance.
- Independent Balance Sheet Strategies
- Cash, Liquidity Management and Cash Flow Forecasting
- Cash Disbursements, collections, and concentration
- Long-Term | Short-Term Investing and Borrowing
- Payment Systems ü Working Capital Optimisation
- Enterprise Risk Management
- Financial Risk Management
- Interest Rate and Liquidity
- Foreign Exchange (FX) Risk
- Commodity Price Risk
- Derivative Instruments used as financial risk management tools
- Capital Structure and Management
- Technology in Treasury
- Treasury Restructuring
- Treasury Policies and Procedures
- Asset/Liability Committee (ALCO)
- Portfolio Management
- Project Management
Professional Experience & Significant Achievements
Founder at Treasury & ALM Consulting (South Africa), Present
- Developing a corporate treasury training course to address Cash Flow Forecasting, Funding & Liquidity Risk Management, FX Risk Management and Interest Rate Risk Management challenges
- Consulting with the University of Kwa Zulu Natal in streamlining the Treasury Department
- Provided Treasury & ALM training to Nedbank – South Africa, Barclays – Zimbabwe and Moza Banco – Mozambique
Group Head of Treasury & ALM at Letshego Holdings Limited (Botswana), June 2016 – May 2017
- Developed and implemented an Advanced Cash Flow Forecasting Process
- Successfully managed external and internal funding requirements and cost optimisation
- Managed ALM Risks (Liquidity Risk, Interest Rate Risk) and implemented policies and procedures
- Optimized the institution Capital Structure
- Spearheaded the implementation of a FX hedging strategy
- Managed and maintained credit rating (Moody)
Head of Cash Management and Group Funding & Liquidity Risk Manager at MMI Holdings Limited (South Africa), Apr 2010 – May 2016
- Refined a funding model from policyholder funds
- Developed the Liquidity Risk Management Model from a contractual and behavioural perspective
- Implemented the Fund Transfer Pricing (FTP) process
- Developed an Advanced Cash Flow Forecasting Process with Implementation of a Treasury Management System (TMS)
Senior Liquidity Risk Manager at Absa – Barclays (South Africa) Oct. 2007 – April 2010
- Took responsibility for Strategic Liquidity Risk Management
- Led the Liquidity stress test and Simulation analysis
- Developed a Model for Liquidity Contingent plans and Early Warning Indicator
Quantitative Analyst & Asset & Liability Manager at Standard Corporate and Investment Banking (South Africa) Jun 2005 – Sept 2007
- Implemented a hedging strategy for look-back options
- Implemented a Liquidity Early Warning Indicator System (LEWIS).
- Built a model bank on Excel VBA for ALM simulation and Training
- Managed the bank’s African subsidiaries interest rate risk exposure
- Built the bank Net Interest Income (NII) diversification benefit
Ongoing: PhD in Finance Candidate, University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
Thesis: “An Agent Based Simulation Model to analyse the resilience of the African inter-bank market network to liquidity shocks.” | Advisor: Prof. Kalu Ojah
June 2012: Master in Finance & Investment, University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
Thesis: “Liquidity Risk Management in Banking Book A Practical Framework to the Basel III Regulations.” | Advisor: Prof. Kalu Ojah Dec.
2004: Bachelor of Science in Pure Mathematics & Operation Research, University of South Africa, Pretoria
July 2017: Certify Treasury Professional (CTP) Candidate, Association of Finance Professional (AFP), USA
June 2011: Advanced Certificate in Banking & Insurance, VU University, Amsterdam
July 2006: Mechanics of Financial Markets, Beaufort Institute, South Africa
- Speaker at Risk South Africa Conference 2016
- Speaker and Panellist at the Botswana Stock Exchange Bond Market Conference 2016
- Built a Total Bank ALM simulation model with Excel VBA
- Built an Excel Model that quantified the Net Interest Income (NII) Diversification of Standard Bank Africa’s main operations
- Qualified as Top Tier Paralympic Athlete (Athens 2004)
Additional Leadership Activities
- Chairperson of the Trustees: Ensuring the financial stability and Investment growth Grand Rapids Sectional Title Scheme – Ongoing 4
- Chairperson of the disability Forum: Ensuring that people with disabilities are educated adequately, employed and reasonably accommodated MMI Holdings Limited — Jan 2013 to May 2016
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- Association of Finance Professional (AFP)
- Association of Corporate Treasurer South Africa (ACTSA)