Paul currently heads up a Johannesburg-based Advisory firm, specializing in Financial & Insurance Technology disruption capability across multiple industries.
After gaining South African experience with large corporates such as Bayer, Standard Bank, ABSA and Barclays Africa, he spent 2.5 years in the diverse international markets of the Caribbean with CIBC FirstCaribbean, a long-standing banking organization in the Caribbean and Al Khaliji, as start-up bank in Qatar, both locations where he developed a full Treasury systems operation. Thereafter he returned to South Africa in 2009 and joined Mercantile Bank as Treasurer, thereafter taking the role of Head of Trading 7 Investments at Bidvest Bank.
As Treasurer, he was involved in analyzing various functions across the Treasury and Investments divisions, including enhancing skills in:
- Deep-level FinTech, InsureTech and Big Data eco-system understanding, including utilisation of leading-edge technologies that underpin the eco-system’s development.
- Setting an implementation agenda for strategic initiatives across multiple business areas.
- Focused and motivational leadership skills to create personal impact and influence on peer groups, partners and employees, from a team perspective.
- Expert level of understanding of the financial markets landscape, competition, geographic, macroeconomic and global factors impacting global markets.
- Highly developed level of Risk-awareness and fully proficient in the language of modern portfolio management and risk theory.
- In-depth capability in the analysis of client requirements across multiple product groups.
- Superior negotiating and conflict management skills.
During the years specialising in Foreign Exchange, Interest Rate and Derivatives markets he has developed an in-depth knowledge of identifying and managing market risks. This, combined with his insight into the operational aspects of financial institutions, puts him in a unique position to evaluate the appropriateness of various strategic project management implementations and internal protocols that are available to mitigate the risks facing global organisations.